What all Prospective School Board Members Should Know
March 1st - Petitions for Board of Education candidates can be requested or picked up with Jodi Shantal, the District Clerk. Mrs. Shantal may be reached at 315-824-6310 or email@example.com
April 17th - Petitions for Board of Education candidates are due by 5:00 p.m. These should be handed in at the District Office.
May 9th - Public Budget Hearing - 6:00 p.m.
May 16th - Budget Vote & School Board Elections - 12:00 Noon - 8:00 p.m.
CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION:
Every school Board member:
1) must be able to read and write;
2) must be a qualified voter of the district (US Citizen, 18 yrs. or older);
3) must be and have been a resident in the district for at least one year prior to election;
4) may not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year;
5) may not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
6) May not be a current employee of the school district; and
7) May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
LENGTH OF TERM: The term is for three years unless filling an unexpired term.
1) Shall be directed to the District Clerk.
2) Shall state the name and residence of the candidate.
3) Shall state that candidate is being nominated for full term.
4) Shall be signed by at least 25 qualified voters of the district OR 2% of the number of voters who voted in the previous election – WHICHEVER IS GREATER.
5) Shall state the residence of each qualified voter signing the petition.
6) Shall be filed with the District Clerk not later than 30 days prior to the school election at which the candidate so nominated is to be elected.
LAST DATE FOR FILING – MONDAY, APRIL 17, 2023 – 5 p.m.
ORDER OF CANDIDATE NAMES:
To be determined by lottery one day after the final date for filing (April 18, 2023 at 8 a.m.)
The public has expressed a desire to know, prior to the election, basic information about the candidates running for the Board of Education. We strongly recommend that candidates submit a short paragraph (bio and/or why you’re interested in becoming a board member) and a photo. The information provided, and the photo will be published in the budget newsletter. These will be placed in the same order as listed on the ballot and will appear unedited. Due date: April 17, 2023
Please use the following guidelines when submitting your information:
- Required Length: 100-200 words
- The photo may be cropped into a “headshot.”
- Preferred Format: Submitted electronically - via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
QUESTIONS MAY BE DIRECTED TO:Jodi Shantal, District Clerk – 315-824-6310